Title: Lola and the Boy Next Door
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Year: 2011
Length: 338 pages
Source: Owned
First Lines: "I have three simple wishes. They're really not too much to ask. The first is to attend the winter formal dressed like Marie Antoinette."
I was a bit hesitant going in to Lola and the Boy Next Door. It sat on my shelf for a couple of months. How could it possibly compare to my love for Anna and the French Kiss? However, last week, I craved something fun and light while on vacation from work. And I was not disappointed. I love Lola, too!
I did not realize that Lola is actually a companion book to Anna. What a happy surprise to find Anna and Etienne happily running around in Lola's world! I will not put off reading the final companion book, Isla and the Happily Ever After, when it comes out this year. I cannot wait!
Back to Lola. It took me several chapters before I fully gave in to loving Lola. She is very different from me. I will never be brave enough to have such a unique and imaginative sense of style. Lola actually reminds me of a friend from high school. She started off making her own clothes and continues to win fashion design competitions to this day. Such talent! So while I would not consider myself a Lola, I can relate to her and be her friend. Kind of like Lindsey, Lola's best friend in the book.
On to the boys. When the book begins, Lola is dating Max, an older musician of whom her parents do not approve. I cannot say that I liked Max much either. I guess I can understand the teen girl urge to date the bad boy, but I was prejudiced from the outset because I knew to expect someone better. That someone is Cricket. Yes, Cricket is a strange name for a boy. But I loved him. More than Etienne. Shocking, I know.
I am not going to delve into the actual plot, but I do want to mention the supporting characters. They were so rich and memorable. Each one obviously served a purpose related to the overall Lola story, but I could probably read a book about one of them, too.
Bottom line: Read Lola and the Boy Next Door so you can swoon like a tween girl at a Justin Bieber concert. Except better, because the Beebs is not involved. But first, you should read Anna and the French Kiss, if you have not done so already. It will make you happy!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment! Even if I don't write back here, I always make time to visit you at your blog. Happy reading!