I finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot last night since it was due back to the library today. What an incredible book! It is the story of Henrietta Lacks, whose immortal cells, called HeLa, have been essential in furthering modern medicine. It is the story of Henrietta's family, particularly her daughter Deborah, and their quest to learn about Henrietta and her cells. Yet, it is also the story of Rebecca Skloot, as her interest in HeLa cells spurred her desire to meet the Lacks family and tell Henrietta's story.
This book has its share of joy and triumphs, but it is also filled with injustice, racism, and sadness. I am so glad that Rebecca Skloot spent a decade of her life trying to learn about Henrietta and her family. This is a story that needed to be told a long time ago, as you find out in the book.
Yes, a significant portion of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks deals with science. But it does not read like a book about science. So many of the Lacks family's personal struggles and stories are told that at times you feel almost intrusive. However, you never stop rooting for Henrietta's family. You empathize with the injustice and hardship. Most of all, you are thankful for Henrietta's immortal cells and all the wonderful medical cures, vaccines, and research they have allowed.
If you want to learn a little bit more about Henrietta and aren't sure if you want to read the book, I recommend reading this piece done by CBS Sunday Morning in March 2010. It's a nice summary and hopefully will make you want to read the book!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment! Even if I don't write back here, I always make time to visit you at your blog. Happy reading!