Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thoughts: Three of Anna Quindlen's Short, Nonfiction Books

Ever since my high school English and Creative Writing teacher told me that my writing reminded her of Anna Quindlen, I have been meaning to read some of her work.  So, last week I finally got around to reading three of her short, nonfiction books: A Short Guide to a Happy Life, Being Perfect, and How Reading Changed My Life.  I can't say much about my writing, but I enjoyed Anna Quindlen's books immensely and can at least appreciate the compliment now.

In all three of these books, Anna Quindlen's writing is fresh and insightful.  Her advice, though nothing I haven't heard before, was a welcome reminder to enjoy life.  I especially liked all of the literary references present in How Reading Changed My Life as Quindlen demonstrated the evolution of her reading.  I identified with many of her thoughts about reading and books in general.  For example, on page 20 she writes, "We read in bed because reading is halfway between life and dreaming, our own consciousness in someone else's mind."  More often than not, I read in bed and had never thought of it this way before, but I like it.

I also liked these lines from Being Perfect: "This is the hard work of life in the world, to acknowledge within yourself the introvert, the clown, the artist, the homebody, the goofball, the thinker.  Look inside.  That way lies dancing to the melodies spun out by your own heart." (page 19)  I'm sure these words appeal to me because of the musical reference at the end.

I have another nonfiction book by Quindlen checked out of the library and waiting to be read.  She also has a few novels that I intend to check out, too.  To end, some truth from How Reading Changed My Life: "Books are the plane, and the train, and the road.  They are the destination, and the journey.  They are home." (page 70)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment! Even if I don't write back here, I always make time to visit you at your blog. Happy reading!