Friday, April 30, 2010

Thoughts: Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll

Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There is Lewis Carroll's sequel to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, which I wrote about here.  Going into Through the Looking-Glass, I was hoping to find more of the story presented in the movie adaptations of Alice.  Some more of the characters were introduced, but I didn't find much more of the movie storyline.  Though, this book does feature Carroll's famous poem "Jabberwocky." 

I especially liked this description of snow that Alice gives near the beginning of the book before she falls asleep:
"'Do you hear the snow against the window-panes, Kitty?  How nice and soft it sounds!  Just as if some one was kissing the window all over outside.  I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently?  And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says, 'Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.'" (page 156)

Like the original book, this adventure takes place in a dream.  However, Alice questions whether it was her own dream or not.  Also present in this book are Alice's cat Dinah's kittens, Kitty and Snowdrop.  Kitty, a black kitten, and Snowdrop, a white kitten, become the Red Queen and the White Queen in the dream, which is based on a game of chess.  Much like the first book, Alice meets an array of bizarre characters who challenge and puzzle her with words.  Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There is a delightful continuation of the adventures Alice begins in Wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment! Even if I don't write back here, I always make time to visit you at your blog. Happy reading!