Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Can't Believe I've Never Read

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and The Bookish. 

This week's topic appealed to me because there are so many books I'm ashamed to say I haven't read!  Oops.  Maybe listing some here will remind me to read these books sooner rather than later.  Here are ten of them, in no particular order. 

1. The Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis
That's right.  I've never read a single one of these babies.  I've seen the first two movies and I liked them.  I'm not sure why I didn't read these books as a kid.  I was probably too busy reading Little House on the Prairie repeatedly... 

2. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Somehow I missed having to read this in school.  I'm starting to feel like that happened quite a bit.

3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
I know I will like this, but don't ask me why I haven't read it yet.  Embarrassing. 

4. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
I'm supposed to be reading this as a bonus for the Classics Challenge.  I need to start it soon!

5. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
This is a book that I just feel like I am supposed to read.  I think I've been consciously avoiding it more so than others.

6. The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
Never read any of these either.  Again, I really liked the movies.  I think I may have started reading the first one a while ago, but couldn't get into it.  I need to give it another chance.

7. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
So far I've missed out on this pop culture phenomenon.  I have a copy waiting to be read though!

8. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Well, I haven't watched the movie because I knew I wanted to read the book first.  A small victory!  I've had a hardcover copy that I got on the cheap at the library book sale for about three years.  Lame. 

9. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Wow.  This isn't even a long book.  I do remember some people having to read it in high school, but for some reason I didn't...?

10. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Okay, at least I've tried to read this several times in the past.  Of course, I've always failed.  One day I will prevail... maybe.  :)

8 comments:

  1. The Poisonwood Bible is absolutely fabulous! I have a nasty habit of picking up a new copy of it every time I'm stuck in an airport with nothing to read. It's nice to have extra copies to loan out to friends when I find out that they *gasp* haven't read it yet, but it's a bit embarrassing to have half a bookshelf dedicated to the same title!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't get into Wuthering Heights either. Which is why I'm glad I finished it back then, cause I would never start it again now. I'm avoiding the Bell Jar as well, I don't really know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with AliBird about The Poisonwood Bible! Also, I loved Girl with the Dragon Tattoo & The Bell Jar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have many books that I somehow didn't read in high school...weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can commiserate with almost the while list. I've seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Sweedish movie though? That count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a hard time reading bestsellers. I don't know why. No DaVinci Code. No Danielle Steele. No Stephen King. No Dragon Tattoo.

    I am a new follower! I'd love to have you stop by my blog and visit me at:
    www.readerbuzz.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was the first time I participated in Top Ten Tuesday and I'm so glad that I did! It's nice that everyone can at least share their shame. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somehow I managed to escape reading Catcher in the Rye too. I wouldn't bother reading Wuthering Heights, personally (I really didn't like it) but Jane Eyre I definitely recommend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment! Even if I don't write back here, I always make time to visit you at your blog. Happy reading!