Monday, September 26, 2011

Thoughts: Bossypants

Title: Bossypants
Author: Tina Fey
Year: 2011
Audiobook Length: 5 discs, 5.5 hours
First Lines: "My brother is eight years older than I am.  I was a big surprise.  A wonderful surprise, my mom would be quick to tell you."


I don't think it would be too bold to claim that Bossypants represents my ideal audiobook experience. There is truly something magical about hearing a book read by its author.  It doesn't hurt when the book is laugh out loud funny either.  Tina Fey is hilarious and listening to her only added to my enjoyment.

Bossypants is Fey's memoir and traces her rise to SNL and 30 Rock fame.  I actually learned quite a bit about Fey through her funny, often ridiculous, and sometimes profane stories.  She is obviously very smart and possesses an enduring ability to laugh at herself.  An additional benefit to listening to Bossypants is hearing the actual recordings of some of the SNL sketches for which Fey is known.

I will caution you not to listen to Bossypants if you do not want to hear foul language; it is used throughout the book.  I suppose it would be easier to sort of skim over it while reading, as opposed to hearing Fey scream it at you in the car.  Although I could have done without some of the language, I still appreciated Fey's wit and humor.  This was the perfect book to listen to on my drive home after a long day at work, especially when I needed a good laugh.

My Rating: 4 of 5

PS - 1. I admit the cover is pretty creepy.  2. I think one of the funniest parts of the book is titled "Suburban Girl Seeks Urban Health Care" (Disc 1, Track 5), in which Fey recounts her first gynecology appointment.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Thank you! That cover is so creepy. I'm hoping to listen to this one on audio soon. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty awesome. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment! Even if I don't write back here, I always make time to visit you at your blog. Happy reading!