This week's Booking Through Thursday asks:Even though it’s usually a mistake (grin) … do movies made out of books make you want to read the original?
I love watching movies, so any excuse to watch works for me! I usually try to read the book before I see the movie though. In most cases, I've already read the book and then the movie comes out a few years later. However, I recently read Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert because of the release of the movie. I wasn't really interested in it until I saw the movie preview with all that beautiful scenery.
I love your quote by Anna Quindlan.
ReplyDeleteIt depends. I usually try to read the book first so I can create my own pictures in my head. But for some books written several centuries ago like Dickens or Austen, I think that viewing the film actually enhances the reading experience for me.
I will rarely read a book after seeing the film with current material. For example, I wasn't finished with the 2nd book in the Millennium series, The Girl Who Played With Fire, when we went to the movie. I didn't go back and finish the book even though I was well into it prior to viewing.
-Anne
http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com
I do read certain books after watching a period drama. In a way it has only enhanced a movie. However, I don't like to watch movies after reading a book. Exceptions are there,
ReplyDeletethough!
Here is my BTT: Film to Books post!
I usually don't like to read a book after I have seen the movie, and the reverse is true as well (I don't usually see movies of books i've already read).
ReplyDeleteOne of the few exceptions recently was Confessions of a Shopaholic -- I had read the book before I saw the movie, and I liked both.
Memoirs of a Geisha, I read the book first, and then saw the movie, which I liked, but not as much as the book.